Copenhagen! (København)

Posted by on November 28, 2012

I went with two of my friends in the program to Copenhagen for the weekend on Friday night and we flew back Sunday night.

Here’s what we did/where we went/scroll down for pics with captions (trying a new blogging set up…)

• Tivoli Gardens is a really neat theme park… in the middle of the city! Literally right next to the town hall. It opened in 1843 and is famous for its lights — over 20,00o bulbs. It’s pretty expensive, (like everything else in Copenhagen) so we only did one ride ($12 bucks if you can believe it!) called the Star Flyer (Himmelskibet) but it was AWESOME! because I love theme parks. We had waffles and hotdogs and I had the Danish version of Sprite which was called Faxe Kondi.
  • Of course we went to the Little Mermaid statue, and it was busy and somewhat unremarkable… apparently it’s been beheaded by vandalism twice in the past few years. Eek!
  • We walked through Amalianborg Castle courtyard and luckily we arrive at 11:55am, just in time for the changing of the guard at noon! Pretty neat to watch, a little intimidating.
  • After a walking tour of the city, we decided to visit Christiania. On our walk there we visited Vor Frelsers Kirke which has a huge spiral spire that we climbed and got an awesome view of Copenhagen.
  • We then went to Freetown Christiania which was founded by squatters and is an autonomous neighborhood. They have three rules.
    1) Don’t run
    2) Don’t take pictures
    3) Have as much fun as you can!
    We got delicious hot coco there since it was freeezing, and chatted with a local who talked to us about Danish/Scandanavian politics which was really fascinating!
  • On Saturday, our last day, we made it to Rosenborg Castle where we saw the crown jewels and the beautifully ornate rooms of the castle. Nice to be inside since it was POURING rain all day!
  • Our last stop was the Carlsberg brewery. I tried Carlsberg and the Tuborg. Learned a lot about the history. Saw the world’s largest bottled collections! We also learned a lot about the history, including that before the 1940s their symbol used to be the swastika and it’s still on the building… kind of surprising until we got into the museum, haha. They also have a sculpture garden, randomly enough.

One Response to Copenhagen! (København)

1. Slam

Looks like you’re having a great time, Em! Also, you made me crave waffles and hot dogs, but I forgive you.