Making the Most of My Last Few Weeks!

Posted by on December 1, 2012

I come home in exactly TWO WEEKS from today! This time next week I will be hugging my mother at Dulles airport and I cannot wait.

However, I’m still making the most of my time here and enjoying some final sights in Bath. I’ve made a few trips to the Bath Christmas market to browse, do some holiday shopping, and get lots of hot cocoa with Bailey’s in it. Yummm. Plus warm sugar donuts with jelly filling. YUM! The lights are beautiful.

ASE, my abroad program, held their “Write Night” where students can perform poetry, skits, sing, etcetc to dazzle the rest of the program. The night started with a pub quiz that our table won, pretty much entirely to my friend Nora who is a trivia junkie. Then we had plenty of bar snacks. THEN it was time to perform. My best friend here, Laura, and I each performed a piece from the Vagina Monologues which was a hoot. There was a lovely duet of “Baby It’s Cold Outside,” the program director read us a poem, my short fiction professor read us a story, and Nora recited Pi to the 200th digit, so it was certainly entertaining.

Today, a group of us has a nice Bath outing! We went to the caroling service at Bath Abbey which was lovely and then went and got a proper British tea. We tried the Jane Austen house first, then the Pump Room, before finally fighting for a table at Minerva Chocolate Cafe. Bath is a huge tourist city, but now that it’s holiday time? The crowds around the abbey are NUTS. It’s so hard to move! The tea was great (though I’m definitely still a coffee drinker). I got the classic “afternoon” tea which had little sandwiches and cake and strawberries – yum!

While we were out, my friend Laura went and got a tattoo. She got a phrase her parents tell her, “Be Good.” It was really sweet and the people were really nice. I ended up getting a piercing (sorry family!) because the prices were shockingly cheap and I wanted something to remember the semester by, though less permanent than a tattoo. I got a dermal piercing in my neck. The piercer was a pro and must have had ten piercings in his face alone. I’m really happy with it! 🙂

Before I head home I plan on visiting the Roman Baths (obviously), then the program is going to Stratford-upon-Avon Tuesday through Thursday to see some plays, then finals, then Lindsay is going to visit then I GO HOME! Time flies.

xx